BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My First Client

I was the first student of my class to get a real client.  I am not sure if it was because the person working reception likes me or if they did it because they don't like me, but I know it wasn't because he was going alphabetically and I doubt it was a reflection of my skill level..  Maybe it is wrong to wonder why I got picked first, but things like this rent space in my head.  I certainly didn't mind and was very glad to get the experience under my belt. 

My lady, L.W., is 75 years old and has been widowed 3 years.  She moved to this town to be near her son when her husband died.  She came in for a pedicure, facial and waxing.  She was waiting at the pedicure station when I came up with all my supplies.  I introduced myself and found out her name.  I set up my lotion and implements and then asked what temperature she liked the water for the footbath.  Once I brought the footbath over, I asked if she would like for me to get her a magazine and she "No thank you, I want to talk".  My pedicure probably wasn't the world's best, but she seemed to enjoy it and it was obvious she was there as much for the company as the service.  I forgot to put cotton between her toes to separate them and she smudged her polish because she put her shoes on too soon, but she found out a lot about me and I pretty much heard the story of her life.  Making someone feel special is just as important as making them look beautiful.  I think she enjoyed the services she received today and she complemented me quite a bit on the facial massage. 

I couldn't help but be reminded about the foot washing ritual that is often performed in old timey churches and what a cathartic event it can be for a congregation.  It is something that is powerful and humbling both for the giver and the receiver.  I would rather have a pedicure any day over just about any salon service unless my grey is really showing - and even then I can handle my own grey, but you can't give yourself a satisfying pedicure experience.  Maybe I can knock off my own calluses, trim my own toenails and polish my own toes, but the joy of the experience of having someone else do that just isn't the same. 

Good night all.  I have a big test tomorrow and need to finish studying.

0 comments: